Carlton County Joins the Yellow Ribbon Network
At 1:00 on Memorial Day, May 26, 2014, in Veterans Memorial Park in Cloquet, MN, representatives from the Governors office, the Mayors of Cloquet and Carlton, the Mission Commander of the 148th Fighter Wing and Officers of Crazy Troop, and more (see list below) joined together to proclaim Carlton County as a Yellow Ribbon Community.
A Yellow Ribbon Community's purpose is to unite key areas to create a comprehensive network that connects and coordinates agencies, organizations, resources and employers for the purpose of pro actively supporting service members, veterans and military families. Carlton County has long held a tradition of strong support for our miliary and veteran communities, and aligning those efforts within the Yellow Ribbon Network serves to increase the level of support in the community.
Two years ago, Carlton County began the process to become recognized s a Yellow Ribbon entity. This process began by engaging committed volunteers to develop a steering committee that would develop a sustainable action plan.
This action plan outlines how our community commits to supporting its military connected residents. Over the many months, the steering committee partnered with key areas throughout the community to gain commitment in supporting efforts.
These areas included; public safety, schools, the faith-based and business communities, social service and medical providers, and youth and community programs. In addition, we also partnered with our local veteran service organizations to expand their wonderful support efforts that our community is known for.
This synchronization of effort will ensure that veterans, service members and military families here in Carlton County feel supported and honored throughout our community.
For more information, or to join our group of patriotic volunteers, please contact Jill Hatfield, Carlton County Yellow Ribbon Coordinator at 218-879-9238.
Dignitaries who participated in the proclamation of Carlton County as a Yellow Ribbon Network
- Colonel Penny J Dieryck - Mission Support Group Commander, 148th Fighter Wing
- Captain T. Christopher Zdon - Commanding Officer of Crazy Troop, 1st Squadron, 94th Cavalry Regiment
- Thomas Proulx - Carlton County Commissioner
- Mayor Bruce Ahlgren - Mayor of Cloquet
- Mayor Kitty Bureau - Mayor of Carlton
- Laura Wilkinson - Cloquet City Councilor
- Brian Fritsinger - Cloquet City Administrator
- Annette Kuyper - Director of Military Outreach for the Department of Military Affairs
- Jill Hatfield - Carlton County yellow Ribbon network Coordinator
- Sergeant First Class Troy Smith - NCOIC Crazy Troop, Cloquet Armory